[FoRK] Re: FoRK Digest, Vol 42, Issue 21

Ian Andrew Bell <hello at ianbell.com> on Tue Apr 24 14:32:13 PDT 2007

To suggest that America is a Gun Culture runs deeper than the number
and caliber of weapons in circulation.  America has fostered a
society which places extraordinary value on vengeance, vigilantism,
entitlement, and self-righteousness.  This is reinforced in the way
it looks upon its own history, its popular cultural artifacts such as
movies, and the imbalances which are perpetuated between classes
contrasted with omnipresent avarice and the singular pursuit of
wealth.  If guns are the fuel and our Ape-ism is the oxygen, then
America's unique set of societal values provides the perfect touchstone.

To say that America's gun crime and murder rate is disproportionate
both to the number of firearms and the population of the country is a
gaping understatement.  The problem runs deeper than monkeys and steel.

-Ian.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ianbell