[FoRK] Re: "Thanks for the Facts. Now Sell Them."

mattj at newsblip.com <mattj at newsblip.com> on Sun Apr 22 16:15:06 PDT 2007

Quoting Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com>:

>  "The universe is the womb that bore me, and  "the universe is my body."
>
>  Both of these are, quite literally, scientifically, true.

No. "Literally", a womb is an organ of a female mammal.  You are using
a metaphor.  The appropriate word here is "figuratively", roughly the
opposite of "literally".

You also wrote, regarding "Born With A Bang: The Universe Tells Its Story"...

> The book doesn't say that the universe has an independent
> consciousness-- it says that the universe has become conscious,
> and that scientists (who we presume are telling the story to you)
> are telling its story to you.

Er, no.

I just got the book from the library.  It is *all* first-person, told
by a loving Universe.  It begins:

"My Dearest Earthling,
You may not know me. We haven't talked before. I am the Universe and
it's time for us to get to know each other.
[and later,]... Mind you, my dear Earthling, your Milky Way is only
tiny neighborhood in my vast expanse.  Even though your galaxy is very
special, I care equally for all my galaxies!"

Taking to heart Jeff's comment about precision, meaning, and slippery
slopes, I think I'm done with this thread. Cheers,

Matt Jensen
http://mattjensen.com
Seattle