[FoRK] Lee Iacocca: Where Have All the Leaders Gone?

Baron Earl <baron.earl at gmail.com> on Wed Apr 18 10:58:02 PDT 2007

On 4/13/07, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> > On Apr 13, 2007, at 6:56 PM, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:
> >> In politics, true leaders have been impeached for fucking their
> >> interns...
> > What true leader was this?  I can't think of one that matches that
> > description.

Clinton did not fuck his intern, she gave him blowjobs. Lots and lots
of sloppy blowjobs.

He was also acquitted of impeachment charges by the Senate, although
he was impeached by the House. Not being a lawyer -- and not caring a
great deal one way or the other -- I'm not sure if that qualifies as
"has been impeached" or not. I've always thought that if a President
was impeached they were thrown out of office, and since Clinton served
out his term, he wasn't impeached. If a person goes on trial for
murder, and they're acquitted, I wouldn't call them a murderer either.

This is what the Constitution says:

* * *

Article I, Section 2, Clause 5

The House of Representatives shall choose their Speaker and other
Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

The Constitution, Article I, Section 3:

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments.  When
sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation.  When
the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall
preside:  And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of
two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachments shall not extend further than to
removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office
of honor, Trust, or Profit under the United States, but the Party
convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment,
Trial, Judgment, and Punishment, according to Law.

* * *

So basically the House initiates the procedings, and the Senate
decides whether the person is guily or innocent.