[FoRK] Re: "Thanks for the Facts. Now Sell Them."

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Wed Apr 18 10:42:58 PDT 2007

> What do I dislike in what you say?  The nonsense, and the rhetoric,
> and the arrogant normative stance.  It's de rigeur for
> "spiritualists" who are alarmed to see the rationalists FINALLY
> standing up and treating all the nonsense with the contempt it so
> fully deserves...

  Wait;

  I'm confused:
  Jeff, Tom,

  Are you trying to teach me that God isn't real,
  that there isn't magic, that Jesus didn't save my soul,
  that there isn't really a heaven or a hell, and so on?

  Are you worried that I'm teaching kids to worship the
  energy of crystals and ufos and akashic records and
  tarot cards?

    - can you point me to something that said something
      like that?

  Perhaps you are angry that Connie Barlow calls the
  sand path outside Darwin's house a "sacred site?" [1]

  Is the word "sacred" just out of bounds, and to be wiped
  from language? [2]

  Or are you guys just teaching me the correct strategy,
  for transitioning people from a tight clutch to their religious
  beliefs, to a life free from such shackles, which you have
  no doubt studied and tested the effectiveness of?

  I just want to make sure we're on the same page.

  Do you believe I am teaching "crystal magic" and other
  such things, and if so, WHY?  Do you believe I'm a wolf
  in sheep's clothing?  How so?

[1] http://thegreatstory.org/downhouse.html

[2] http://www.communitywiki.org/en/ChallengeOfEmotiveExpression
  "The Challenge of Emotive Expression"
  Briefly, we describe women as "heavenly," or
  horrific people as "evil," to symbolically portray extremes
  of emotion.  Even the adjective "horror" suggests the
  supernatural.