[FoRK] Re: "Thanks for the Facts. Now Sell Them."

Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> on Tue Apr 17 11:48:56 PDT 2007

On 4/17/07, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:

> Ah, and that strikes at the heart of the issue.  Religions *do* provide
> answers.  They may not be literally true, but many of them sound great
> and reinforce the listener's beliefs and wishes.

So given this ...The Magic Eight Ball is the next big religion?

Answer Hazy try Again...yea this does sound like most religions.

As to admen, let me take you to a scene out of the book Last
Temptation of Christ, the one where an uncrucified  Jesus meets up
with Paul who is still selling the story of a crucified Jesus. Paul,
when confronted with the fact that here was Jesus and he was not hung
out to dry,  goes for the best possible answer....It Doesnt
Matter...HIS jesus died and HIS jesus rose etc etc etc. In short,
truth is not needed, need makes the truth.

NEED.. you need a daddy to be the protector and warm lap and
disciplinarian...NEED becuase things just dont make sense all the time
so SOMETHING NEEDS to make sense of it, whether it does or not.  You
ae poor and you NEED money, you pray pray pray and if things work out
you thank to the name you prayed to and if not you pray some more and
fit the results to fit.

Fulfillment of Need vs Pursuit of Truth   pick a path. (turn to page 58 now)

-tomhiggins