[FoRK] Dr. Phil says video games killed those students today.

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Mon Apr 16 22:59:11 PDT 2007

Whenever someone kills a group, it is a great tragedy.  Complaining that
it was too easy for them to do it is ignoring that they shouldn't have
lost control in the first place.  The power of individuals is going to
go up, not down.  Robotics, nanotechnology, power technology,
biotechnology, etc. are all heading toward very powerful and relatively
accessible capabilities to do great good and great harm.  Somehow, we
have to protect people better from running off the rails, monitor and
respond faster to those in trouble, and do what we can to limit damage.
Trying to disempower everyone in a society but the few who are in charge
is a lost cause, regressive, and never going to work in the future.

Are video games to blame?  Maybe, in a sense, but so, in a similar
sense, are the movie making industry with hyper-violent and graphic
pulp, governments for having wars, religions for directing people to
violence, conservatives for trying to limit sex (pushing us from our
bonobo side to be more like chimpanzees), etc.  The lack of a workable
life philosophy, as we were just discussing, is a big problem.  These
people have to be confused about priorities in life to do this kind of
thing.

I forgot to point out that disarming the US will, now, never happen for
the following reasons:

   1. Gun culture is too much a part, overall, of US culture.  Possibly
      not in Northeastern urban areas, but certainly in rural and the
      Southwest.
   2. The world is becoming more scary and confrontational, not less.
      Being able to confront any kind of insurgent with firepower is
      something that won't be given up, even if it's just a fantasy at
      this point.
   3. The UK just proved that strict gun control doesn't work, and this
      from a society that had practically zero gun-based murders a
      century ago.
   4. The legal interpretation has matured to clarify the
      constitutionality of gun ownership, especially for home
      protection.  The very strict gun control law in DC, which totally
      outlawed handguns, was overturned recently, at least as far as
      guns-in-the-house-for-protection.  The city leaders are outraged
      and vow to appeal, but it doesn't look good for them.
   5. Criminals will always have firepower.
   6. It is totally impractical.

I've never owned a gun, and that's probably good considering unstable
teenagers and an unstable ex-wife, but I have no problem with it and,
someday, I probably will own one.

I came up with the idea of a combination-locked gun back in 1988 or so.
That still seems like the best solution: a gun only you can fire.

In the case of someone berserk, the only solution is for at least a
small but substantial number of people around to be armed and ready to
take out the malfunctioning unit fast.  Of course, mistakes will be
made, probably enough for people to argue about overall effectiveness,
but in an actual case like this one, there are few solutions.

sdw