[FoRK] Dr. Phil says video games killed those students today.

Albert S. <albert.scherbinsky at rogers.com> on Mon Apr 16 22:51:17 PDT 2007

I think your point about gangs(and I would add
socioeconomic factors) is a good one. However, I have
a hard time believing that these could account for a
55/15 == 366% higher murder rate in the US. The fact
of the matter is that the gun is a far more efficient
killing tool than the number one weapon in the UK the
knife. People are more likely to do something when it
is easier to do. Stabbing is so hands on, physically
demanding and messy. Shooting is done at a distance
with the twitch of a finger.

So we can rephrase the original question then to be
what is the significance of violence in video games as
compared to the availability of firearms and
socioeconomic factors in the 366% disparity between
murder rates and the 6000% disparity between death by
firearm in the US and UK?

Here is the original quote from Dr. Phil:
"Are they treatable? They are usually dead after
something like this happens, because the police take
them out, or they take themselves out. The question
really is, can we spot them. And the problem is, we
are programming these people as a society. You can not
tell me, common sense tells you, that if these kids
are playing video games where they are on a mass
killing spree..... You take that and mix it with a
psychopath, a sociopath, or someone suffering from
mental illness. Add in a dose of rage. The
suggestibility is just too high. And we're going to
have to start dealing with that. We'll have to start
addressing those issues and recognizing that the mass
murderers of tomorrow are the children of today that
are being programmed with this massive violence
overdose."