[FoRK] It's time for... The US Territory of Mexico

Adam L Beberg <beberg at mithral.com> on Mon Apr 16 14:30:05 PDT 2007

Stephen D. Williams wrote on 4/16/2007 2:05 PM:
> Doesn't that seem like the obvious solution to a number of problems?
> We are already so intertwined population wise, helpless to stop
> immigration, and their public has to be exasperated by corruption,
> gangs, and general lack of justice and prosperity.  Heck, with the level
> of corruption, we could probably exercise a Louisiana Purchase...
>
> Statehood would be a ways off, but would make sense eventually.

I know you're being sarcastic, but there are a huge number of people
trying to make this happen so that business can use cheap Mexican labor
because the minimum wage is devastating American businesses trying to
compete with China.

We all know that within weeks/months of that happening, 75% of Americans
would be out of jobs. Go read about the American truckers, they are all
about to lose their jobs to Mexican drivers (who don't have hours/day
driving limits, or criminal/drug checks) via treaty.

In the end the choice is do we lose our jobs to China/India or to
Mexico. Keeping our jobs long ago was removed from the options.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/