[FoRK] More data on storage costs for the masses...

Adam L Beberg < beberg at mithral.com > on > Wed Dec 20 17:56:24 PST 2006

Udhay Shankar N wrote on 12/20/2006 5:36 PM:
> At 12:44 AM 12/21/2006, Adam L Beberg wrote:
>
>> But ... that fits on a DVD, so it's really not worth it. A DVD burns in
>> 5 min, and the transfer would take 2 days.
>>
>> Burn the DVD, and snail-mail it to a friend, and cheaper in the end.
>
> I wonder how many people (even on FoRK) have actually tried to restore
> their CD/DVD based backups and had them work perfectly.

Burn 2, one kept remote.

Shelf life 2 years max, then the media is suspect.

If you do backups monthly, it will cost you a whole $10/year in media.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/