[FoRK] Beware NordicTrack

Corinna < corinna.schultz at gmail.com > on > Wed Dec 20 15:38:05 PST 2006

Tell your friends...

We bought an exercise bike from Sears (~$400) last March. It has been a
real pain dealing with NordicTrack customer service (Sears refused to
let us return it for a refund!). The bike has a poorly designed/machined
cam/flywheel/something and broke within a month of normal use (this is
apparently a common problem with the model we bought. wtf?).

We are still trying to get an operable bike. Even with the upgrade they
gave us, we're having problems (from a part broken in transit; see
below.) Optimists that we are, we hope to get the issue resolved before
we move in May...

We have assembled 3 bikes, practically made friends with our local
NordicTrack repair guy, gone through at least 2 customer service reps
(they changed jobs or something), and had a handful of "wrong parts"
mailed to us. One of the bikes arrived broken because of abuse from UPS.
The package was at least 50 lbs, and it had been pierced pretty hard
with something.

Plus the bike were completely unassembled. It isn't fun assembling 3
bikes from itty bitty pieces, only to not have something working at the
end of those hours.  It's not like we're trying to effect a lifestyle
change or anything...

Oh, have I mentioned how atrocious package handling is down here??
Sheesh. Practically every package we get looks like they played soccer
with it. Luckily the computer we ordered arrived intact (though the
shipping box had a hole in it).

What surprises me is that I thought NordicTrack had a good reputation.
We trusted the name when we bought the machine...