[FoRK] More data on storage costs for the masses...

Adam L Beberg < beberg at mithral.com > on > Wed Dec 20 11:14:08 PST 2006

Ken Meltsner wrote on 12/19/2006 2:59 PM:
> CRN (rag for software/hardware resellers) has their 10 best products
> list.

> I understand there's a lot of handholding and support bundled into
> these prices, but this doesn't seem to be a terribly good deal for the
> average small business.

Yes, that's exactly what makes it one of the best products of the year
for resellers, ripping off the customer! That's an amazing feat these
days since one search lists 1000's of cheaper options.

Amazon's S3 at $0.15/GB-Month + $0.20/GB transferred is one of the
better deals that I know of for now. LTO is only about 0.25/GB for media
tho, so it's probably not worth it.

Problem is, this is America not South Korea.

Bandwidth is still the problem, local backup is 100-1000x faster.

Xdrive (AOL owned) gives you 5GB for free, which is large enough for an
encrypted compressed Ghost image of my entire C: drive. I'd imagine it's
more then enough to backup 99.9% of home users ~ or /My Documents/
directories even with quite a few photos.

But ... that fits on a DVD, so it's really not worth it. A DVD burns in
5 min, and the transfer would take 2 days.

Burn the DVD, and snail-mail it to a friend, and cheaper in the end.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/