[FoRK] More data on storage costs for the masses...

Ken Meltsner < meltsner at alum.mit.edu > on > Tue Dec 19 14:59:50 PST 2006

CRN (rag for software/hardware resellers) has their 10 best products
list.  One that struck me as a bit off was the Linux-based storage
appliance for Server Partners, FileEngine:

http://www.crn.com/sections/special/reports/poty06.jhtml?articleId=196603828&pgno=3&queryText=

A low-end box + two 120 GB drives is leased to the end user at
$235/month on a three-year lease.  Ignoring NPV and other
complications, that's about $4K + 25% maintenance per year.

I can see why it's an appealing deal for the reseller, but wait,
there's more:  Off-site backup is also available at $3/GB-month, but
the reseller can tack on their profit, bringing the total up to as
much as $10/GB-month.

I can see why this product is so popular with resellers.

I understand there's a lot of handholding and support bundled into
these prices, but this doesn't seem to be a terribly good deal for the
average small business.

Ken Meltsner