[FoRK] Affordable housing near Lexington, MA?

Jim Whitehead < ejw at soe.ucsc.edu > on > Thu Sep 7 10:28:43 PDT 2006

Lexington and nearby Winchester are both very expensive places to live.

Real estate in Boston tends to drop the further you get from Boston.
One benefit to being in Lexington is that you're already 10 miles out
from Boston, and hence can go further out in radius to find lower
housing costs. Lexington is well served by 128 and route 2, so there
are multiple commute options.

IMO, having lived in Troy, NY and grown up in the Boston area, there
is higher quality of life in the Boston area. Of course, YMMV.

Finally, I'll note that $400K for 1000sq ft sounds pretty inexpensive
by Silicon Valley and Santa Cruz standards. There is an 800 sq ft
cottage for sale on my street for $650k.

- Jim