[FoRK] Argh! braindead hotmail (rant)

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Tue Sep 5 05:56:39 PDT 2006

All of the sudden, myself and a number of other people are having
trouble in the last few months with free email accounts.
The big problem is when they get hijacked, which can now happen multiple
ways I think, and the original email setup address no longer exists.
Many people will get burned by this; one reason I mainly rely on my own
server / DNS name that I renew 10 years at a time.

My occasional use Yahoo account was hijacked somehow and there was no
way to get it back.  There was especially no way to get ahold of a human
at Yahoo.
I'm positive that it was not hacked from any PC I was on, so there must
be some hole in the service itself.

What is now proliferating is private email services, like those within
MySpace.  I've thought about setting up something like that for the
kids, etc. to avoid spam...

sdw