[FoRK] Fifteen aliens arrested in Roswell, working for U.S. military

J. Andrew Rogers < andrew at ceruleansystems.com > on > Mon Sep 4 16:00:06 PDT 2006

On Sep 4, 2006, at 1:20 AM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> Of course the comparison to slavery is wacked: Illegal aliens, of
> the Mexican variety, are coming because they want to, because they
> are bettering their situation as far as they can see, and because
> they are exercising free will.  All of these are the opposite of
> slavery.

I would also make the observation that they usually make $8-20/hr
(variable by region) often under the table and tax free, and
occasionally more.  That is a pretty good take for a "slave"; many
legal workers make less, though probably cost their employer more.
They are inexpensive and cost effective workers, but the idea that
they are exploited for low wages is a canard.

The problem with illegal labor is not that the workers are being
exploited, but that the government bureaucracies are getting stiffed
on their rather steep cut of the action.  It does not reduce wages,
just the cost of labor.

J. Andrew Rogers