[FoRK] Cheap Electronics Dissection Project

Albert S. < albert.scherbinsky at rogers.com > on > Mon Sep 4 08:41:16 PDT 2006

http://www.laptop.org/

As you likely know already the OLPC One Laptop Per
Child has as it's goal to mass produce laptops for
$100 each. If you look at the Hardware Specs you can
see that the child gets quite a lot for their
governments $100.

It seems to me that you could create a similar but
stripped down(to Ultra PC form Factor) device that
cost even less. The things to change would be:
-Nix the keyboard, but add an external keyboard
connector.
-Make the touchpad accecible in tablet mode(the only
mode)Note the touch pad supports both pointing and
writing.
-No swivel for screen, since always in tablet format.
-One wifi antenae instead of two.
-No speakers, but still have a headphone jack.
-No video camera.

I wonder what this would cost, obviously less than
$100.

Albert

http://courageous.murch-sitaker.org/~kragen/electronics/