[FoRK] Re: Here fishy!

J. Andrew Rogers < andrew at ceruleansystems.com > on > Fri Aug 4 13:32:02 PDT 2006

On Aug 4, 2006, at 9:27 AM, Damien Morton wrote:
> Apparently, fish are the primary source of this fatty acid, and
> there simply isn't enough to go around any more.

It would be more accurate to say that the supplies of commercially
popular fish are waning in many areas.  There are many species of so-
called junk fish that exist in vast numbers that are considered
"junk" simply because there is another similar fish that is cheaper
to catch or easier to process, and due to inertia, easier to sell.
Even when a junk fish takes on a "highly prized" status (e.g. Alaskan
sable), the added resource extraction cost and demand rarely drives
the price over US$20-25/kilo retail for fillets.  Other ubiquitous
junk fish are still US$2-4/kilo.

We will still have fish, but the market will diversify into a broader
range of species, including many that it formerly did not consider.
Some of the so-called junk fish have frankly superior qualities as
food to many commercial fish but were not competitive or economical
in some fashion.  The increasing market for quality gourmet food is
also helping in this regard.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers