[FoRK] Here fishy!

Adam L Beberg < beberg at mithral.com > on > Thu Aug 3 11:09:28 PDT 2006

This is just fascinating. There is nothing to really dispute in the
article it is what it is, but it's one of those things we'll probably
start hearing about more soon, now that the secret is out that the
oceans are dying.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/oceans/la-me-ocean30jul30,0,6670018,full.story

Kinda scary that it's a self sustaining system once it gets enough
scale. Could just wake up one month, and find out 2/3 of the planet has
turned into a toxic soup with poisonous gas for 50 miles inland. Should
be an interesting combo with the permafrost melting and releasing enough
methane to make 120' in the shade a cool day. Lucky for us, BOTH would
solve the Florida problem.

100 toxins in one organism is also impressive as hell, that's hardcore.
Can you even imagine an environment so hostile that this thing needed to
evolve that many? And remember SOMETHING did eat that stuff, whatever
that was will laugh at our antibiotics and look at us as an all you can
eat buffet.

The general concept of eating our way down the food chain is also very
interesting. Aren't humans always eating slime and algae in futuristic
sci-fi? But because it's more efficient, not because that's the only
thing we didn't already eat into extinction :)

On a grander scale, the planet being able to "reset" itself back a
billion years and kill off all multicellular life is probably a good thing.

Of course, King Bush says it's all the homosexuals fault, so that must
be it.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/