[FoRK] World Map of Happiness

Damien Morton < fork at bitfurnace.com > on > Wed Aug 2 21:45:26 PDT 2006

On 8/3/2006 2:22 PM, Malcolm Greenshields wrote:
> How can this end? The only general change in the world conflict seems to
> be a new form of antisemitism in the west (Mel Gibson notwithstanding),
> i.e. the hatred of arabs, who are also semites, and a more pronounced
> muslim sentiment that the West is  a satanic whoredom against which any
> atrocity is permissible.  Before the 20th century, a unified,
> independent state  of Israel was most often a dream or a goal, even in
> Biblical times, with the exception of a few brief periods. Now that it's
> here requires tremendous will and sometimes bloodshed to sustain. I'm
> not sure it can be otherwise.
> Malcolm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,,1704037,00.html

Arnon Soffer has spent years advising the government on the "demographic
threat" posed by the Arabs. The Haifa university geographer paints a
bleak vision of how he sees the Gaza strip a generation after Israel's
withdrawal.

"When 2.5 million people live in a closed-off Gaza, it's going to be a
human catastrophe. Those people will become even bigger animals than
they are today, with the aid of an insane fundamentalist Islam. The
pressure at the border will be awful. It's going to be a terrible war.
So, if we want to remain alive, we will have to kill and kill and kill.
All day, every day," he told the Jerusalem Post.

"If we don't kill, we will cease to exist. The only thing that concerns
me is how to ensure that the boys and men who are going to have to do
the killing will be able to return home to their families and be normal
human beings."