[FoRK] World Map of Happiness

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Mon Jul 31 08:01:07 PDT 2006

James Tauber wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:53:50 -0400, "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw at lig.net>
> said:
>
>> What?  What idiot believes that capitalism leads to unhappy people,
>> besides Marx?
>>

> The rich tend to over-attribute their success to their own actions and
> the not-so-rich under-attribute it.
>
> The better correlated individual actions are to individual success in an
> economic system, the less happy the not-so-rich will be.

Maybe true, maybe not.  My sense is that below some threshold of basic
needs, it tends to be very true, very much above and I think people are
more generous with feelings and less negative.  This is probably
qualified by the perceived amount of true meritocracy, although this
probably often differs a lot from true merit.  For instance, few seem to
begrudge success of sports or entertainment stars; most would like to
emulate them, even the very poor.