[FoRK] image processing for OCR

Eugen Leitl < eugen at leitl.org > on > Mon Jul 3 07:12:52 PDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 11:54:43PM +1000, Damien Morton wrote:

> The algorithm is called a flood fill.
> http://student.kuleuven.be/~m0216922/CG/floodfill.html

I'm familiar with it, and unfortunately it wouldn't do.

> Though with what you are doing, its a bit different because the areas
> you want to fill arent known in advance, and I imagine a fair portion of
> the regions you would want to fill are broken regions - i.e. with at

Precisely.

> least some pixels missing somewhere along their borders.
>
> You could do a blur followed by its inverse (sharpen), which would close
> small gaps, but I fear that with fine detailed text, you would create
> more problems than you would solve that way (i.e. by closing gaps that
> _should_ be there).

I imagine some digital filter with a mask (the features are small) might
be able to enhance the recognition rate.

> Can you put some of these scans up somewhere for download?

Alas, unfortunately I don't think I can put up whole pages, lets
I leak too much information about the project (it's perfectly boring,
but corporate customers are pretty irrational about secrecy).