[FoRK] Day without illegals in the bay area

Brian Peisley < brian.peisley at gmail.com > on > Thu May 4 22:07:20 PDT 2006

On 5/4/06, Adam L Beberg <beberg at mithral.com> wrote:
> Sat N wrote on 5/1/2006 2:35 PM:
> > The traffic is light, everyone is driving in their own lanes, no ugly
> > trucks or cars on the road.
>
> I ordered food and didn't have to point at the cheese and yell
> "No! Cheese, moooo... DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO SAY CHEESE IN
> SPANISH?!?!?" while they put chilly peppers on...

Sure, cheese in Spanish is queso.  I'm not sure why it's important to
say it while
they put peppers on something, but if it makes you happy...

> It was good :)

I can imagine.  Cheese and peppers make wonderful combination.

> Can someone PLEASE explain why unlike every other nationality, Mexicans
> refuse to learn English when they come to America?

You sure you want to limit that to Mexicans?  This is a charge that
has been levelled at pretty much every immigrant group whose native
language isn't English.
My best guess as to why many immigrants don't learn English when they
get here is that they move into a community of people like themselves,
and can frequently get by without learning English.  I'm not defending
that, but it's understandable.  It's crutch that some people can't
stop using.

> And no, I have no compassion for them until people with PhD's are
> allowed into the country at all. Uneducated people willing to work for
> slave wages are something Bush cannot get enough of.

Okay, let all the people with PhD's in.  That's just fine with me.
Plenty of opportunity to go around.

> - a 2nd generation LEGAL immigrant.

Then you should be familiar with this:
http://www.archives.gov/national-archives-experience/charters/declaration_transcript.html
I would recommend you pay particular attention to the first sentence
of the second paragraph.

Did you maybe read "Animal Farm" and get confused at what Orwell was
really saying about the pigs when they declared that some pigs are
more equal than others?

Can you explain what part of being a legal immigrant of any generation
gives you the right to hold yourself up as inherently better than
other human beings?  If you don't like illegal immigration that's
fine, but I don't see how it justifies your behavior.