[FoRK] Day without illegals in the bay area

Luis Villa < luis.villa at gmail.com > on > Mon May 1 15:00:26 PDT 2006

On 5/1/06, J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:

> On May 1, 2006, at 2:35 PM, Sat N wrote:
> > The traffic is light, everyone is driving in their own lanes, no ugly
> > trucks or cars on the road.
>

> It is a Monday, and traffic is always light on Monday for some reason.
>
> Around here, I don't think anyone told the illegals that they were
> not supposed to show up to work.  There are no visible absences
> anywhere that I can see, and I know some of them are illegal.  I
> suspect that most of them just want to earn a paycheck and have no
> interest in being pawns for "social justice" politics.

Or to imply a simpler explanation, they are mostly the same as
everyone else- either blisfully unaware of the political issues
swirling around them or feeling powerless to change them.

[This is certainly not a case of 'social justice politics'- it is hard
to imagine a more concrete example of law-making changing lives
directly than 'people would like to have the government arrest me and
throw me out of the country where I live.']

Luis