[FoRK] Re: Section 603

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Mon May 1 09:57:44 PDT 2006

That crosses my mind all the time during these hearings, etc.
Hopefully, we'll repent with a clear statement, maybe some new laws,
etc. and set a good example.

It will certainly be hard to justify too much of a response to anyone
else trying these things in the future, but if we get over it, maybe we
can regain the high ground.

Some things are just messy and not likely to go away, but often there
are ways to bound them so that they are tolerable.  Espionage for
instance is reserved as a method by all the world powers, even though it
is pretty much illegal at the global level.  Still, there are plenty of
things out of bounds, like taking out sitting leaders or performing
industrial espionage under the auspices of a state actor.  Various kinds
of unauthorized abuse, one of the main fears, can be dealt with by
strict auditing, oversight, and serious penalties.

sdw