[FoRK] mod_pubsub way ahead of its time: Comet solves Ajax-envy

Adam L Beberg < beberg at mithral.com > on > Thu Mar 9 22:14:50 PST 2006

Russell Turpin wrote on 3/9/2006 4:15 PM:
> Adam L Beberg <beberg at mithral.com>:
>> You mean the old trick of hosting an application so the user can't own
>> the thing, and must keep paying you forever. ..
>
> That explains why the Web applications I use, like
> Gmail and Mapquest, cost me an arm and a leg,
> while the software that runs on my own machine
> is free.
>
> Oh, wait. Maybe that link between revenue model
> and delivery model isn't quite so firm.

Yup, but all the software I use is free too.

But my mail isn't being processed. I don't have to see ads. And the
government isn't combing through it all for terrorists (democrats and
college students) while Google pimps me out for ads. Enjoy your ads, and
enjoying paying lots more for everything so they can afford those ads.

Who will pay for your email when the economy tanks, and noone has money
for ads anymore, when they need it to make products?

For that matter, Google's search engine is maybe a month away from
completely useless, the spyware and porn people totally 0wnz Google, no
matter what you search for anymore. That's AFTER the pages of ads by Google.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/