[FoRK] Re: flag burning...

Tom Higgins tomhiggins
Wed Nov 2 07:09:58 PST 2005

Id love to have a country I would have no problem pledge my support to..sad
fact is we are a far far place from comfort. Folks today see the pledge more
in the manner of a litmus test of "Real American" than an affirmation of
support. S to the A to the D boohoo.

The viewpoint that expresses this to me, perhaps even a little more
extremely than i am want to think, was voiced by those ever luving
ragamuffins of political trubadorism, Propaghandi in a little ditty they
called "Stick the Fucking Flagg Up Your Goddamn Ass"

"My father told me "son, it's futile to resist,
You can topple ideology but not the armies they enlist."
I questioned the intentions of the boy scouts chanting war.
"Well that's the sound of freedom, son" he said.
(Free to say no more.)
But wait a minute dad, did you actually say freedom?
Well, if you're dumb enough to vote,
You're fuckin dumb enough to believe him.
Cuz if this country is so goddam free,
Then I can burn your fucking flag wherever I damn well please.
I carried their anthem, convinces it was mine.
Rhymeless, unreasoned conjecture kept me in line.
But then I stood back and wondered what the fuck had they done to me.
Made accomplice to all that I'd promised I would never fucking be.
Never be.
You carry their anthem convinces that it's yours.
Invitation to honor. Invitation to war.
Bette Midler now assumes sainthood.
Romanticize murder for moral.
Tie a yellow ribbon round the oak tree my friend,
And "Gee Wally, that's swell!"
Fuck the troops to hell!"