[FoRK] [Fwd: [IP] SBC hints at charge to Web publishers By Frank Barnako, MarketWatch]

Strata R. Chalup strata
Tue Nov 1 14:49:14 PST 2005

Gee, silly me, I thought the subscribers and the buildout chargeoffs against
revenue were paying for the pipes.  But apparently not.

I wonder how SBC would feel about the reverse?  After all, why should people
subscribe to broadband services unless they're going to get 'the full Internet'.
  A bit of border-level BGP against SBC's subscriber block and turfy Mr Whitaker
might change his tune.

SRC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [IP] SBC hints at charge to Web publishers By Frank Barnako, MarketWatch
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 17:04:17 -0500
From: David Farber <dave at farber.net>
To: strata at virtual.net

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rob Raisch <info at raischfinancial.com>
Date: November 1, 2005 2:35:14 PM EST
To: dave at farber.net
Subject: SBC hints at charge to Web publishers By Frank Barnako,
MarketWatch

SBC hints at charge to Web publishers By Frank Barnako, MarketWatch

Last Update: 1:59 PM ET Nov 1, 2005

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) --- The chief executive of SBC
Communications Inc. thinks companies doing business on the Internet,
such as Microsoft Corp. and Vonage Inc., are due for a wake-up call.

"How do you think they're going to get to customers? Through a
broadband pipe. Cable companies have them. We have them," said Ed
Whitacre in a BusinessWeek Online interview. "What they would like to
do is use my pipes for free. I ain't going to let them do that."

He argued that because SBC and others have invested to build high-
speed networks, they are due a return.

"There's going to have to be some mechanism for these people ... to
pay for the portion they're using. Why should they be allowed to use
my pipes?" He offered no details how his idea could be accomplished.

For an Internet company to "expect to use these pipes free is nuts!"
Whitacre added for good measure.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B5A606A5A%2D18D7%
2D4FC9%2DA65C%2DC7317BC7E1CB%7D&siteid=mktw&

--
Frutex esse delendus.

You are subscribed as strata at virtual.net
To manage your subscription, go to