[FoRK] Re: hmmm... what about graphics?

Lucas Gonze lgonze
Thu Oct 6 13:42:47 PDT 2005

It's more fun to specialize.  Mastering one trade gives yFrom sdw at lig.net  Mon Sep 26 15:58:36 2005
From: sdw at lig.net (Stephen Williams)
Date: Mon Sep 26 15:58:54 2005
Subject: [FoRK] Palm on Linux and/or Microsoft

Remember when Palm announced recently that they would be moving their
app environment/OS on top of Linux? Well, it looks like they got an
offer they couldn't refuse:

sdw

September 26th, 2005
Dear Developer,

Today, Palm and Microsoft? announced a powerful, strategic alliance to
bring the Palm experience to the Windows Mobile? platform, aimed at
growing the smartphone marketplace. This is exciting news for the Palm
developer community because we?re now offering our customers a choice of
two great platforms.

If you?d like to take advantage of this collaboration, to expand your
solution to Windows Mobile, please log into PluggedIn, and go to My
Account to modify your existing user profile. You can indicate your
interest in the Windows Mobile platform, as well as update your company
details, contact, and other development-related information. Current
user profiles enable PluggedIn to better meet the needs of Palm's
developer community.

Development resources for the Treo on Windows Mobile will be posted to
PluggedIn once the product is commercially available, in early calendar
2006.

We look forward to our continuing partnership.

Sincerely,

Paul D. Leeper
Director, Developer Relations

Palm and Microsoft Join to Bring the Palm Experience to Windows Mobile;
Verizon Wireless First to Market with New Treo Smartphone

SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 26, 2005 - Mobile-computing pioneer Palm, Inc.
(Nasdaq: PALM) and software pioneer Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT) today
announced a strategic alliance to accelerate the smartphone market
segment with a new device for mobile professionals and businesses. Palm
has licensed the Microsoft? Windows Mobile? operating system for an
expanded line of Treo? smartphones, the first of which will be available
on Verizon Wireless' national wireless broadband network. The news was
revealed in a press conference with Ed Colligan, president and chief
executive officer of Palm, Inc.; Bill Gates, chairman and chief software
architect of Microsoft Corp.; and Denny Strigl, president and chief
executive officer of Verizon Wireless.

The collaboration gives customers more choices and marks a dedicated
effort to deliver one of the world's most innovative smartphone
solutions on the software platform favored by many businesses. Treo
smartphones combine the hallmark Palm experience of a full-featured
mobile phone with email, messaging, web access? and organizational
software -- in an attractive, compact design. The new Treo smartphone
takes advantage of the Windows Mobile 5.0 platform in multiple ways,
offering Outlook Mobile, Office Mobile and Internet Explorer Mobile
built into the smartphone, as well as direct access to Exchange Server
2003 for mobile access to information.? In addition, the new Treo will
operate with Verizon Wireless' BroadbandAccess service, the largest
high-speed wireless broadband network in the United States. Verizon
Wireless expects the new Treo smartphone to be available to its
customers in early 2006.

"We've long believed that the future of personal computing is mobile
computing, and our collaboration with Microsoft is a historic step in
delivering that vision to a larger market," said Colligan. "We're
confident customers will see a differentiated smartphone that delivers
our world-class usability on Microsoft's flexible and robust Windows
Mobile operating system. We collaborated with Verizon Wireless first
because of its high-speed wireless network and growing footprint of
BroadbandAccess cities."

"This is a landmark alliance that will help businesses remain on the
cutting edge of competitiveness," Gates said. "Demand for accessing
information on mobile devices is soaring, and businesses want a
low-cost, scalable solution. We're excited to team with Palm and Verizon
Wireless to deliver a winning Windows Mobile solution that connects
professionals to their critical information while on the go."

The Treo smartphone on Windows Mobile is a CDMA-based phone targeted for
the U.S. market and takes advantage of Verizon Wireless' BroadbandAccess
service on its EV-DO network with download speeds averaging 400-700
kilobits per second. Today, about half the U.S. population, in more than
84 metropolitan areas and in hundreds of airports across the nation, can
access download speeds comparable to DSL or cable-modem connections.
Verizon Wireless has been expanding its BroadbandAccess service area
steadily since its debut in the fall of 2003.

"The new Treo smartphone running Windows Mobile will highlight the speed
and power of our BroadbandAccess service," said Strigl. "The Treo will
deliver fast downloading of email and attachments as well as quick
access to critical-business information, providing businesses with a
great return on investment. Our strong relationships with Microsoft and
Palm continue to provide real value for our customers."

The new Treo smartphone is powered by an Intel processor and joins
Palm's award-winning family of Treo smartphones, which includes the Treo
600 and Treo 650, both offered today to Verizon Wireless customers.

The Palm Experience on Windows Mobile

During the press conference, the companies demonstrated the Palm
experience now brought to life on Windows Mobile. The audience saw a
sampling of Palm's award-winning hardware design integrated thoughtfully
with a rich Palm software suite, including the ability to:

* Contact someone quickly from the Today Screen and choose between home,
office or mobile numbers, or select email or SMS. With only two letters
entered, a customer can find a record from among thousands of contacts;
* Reach people most often called via photo speed dials visible as a band
of images on the Today Screen;
* Decline a call with a friendly SMS, signaling "In a meeting" or
"Talking with the boss" instead of simply ignoring the call; and
* Rewind, delete or fast-forward through work or cell phone voicemail
with familiar and consistent on-screen icons.

About Palm, Inc.

Palm, Inc., a leader in mobile computing, strives to put the power of
computing in people's hands so they can access and share their most
important information. The company's products for consumers, mobile
professionals and businesses include Palm? handheld computers, Palm
Treo? smartphones, Palm LifeDrive? mobile managers, as well as software,
services and accessories.

Palm products are sold through select Internet, retail, reseller and
wireless operator channels throughout the world, and at Palm Retail
Stores and Palm online stores (www.palm.com/store).

More information about Palm, Inc. is available at www.palm.com.

About Microsoft

Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in
software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize
their potential.

About Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless owns and operates the nation's most reliable wireless
network, serving 47.4 million voice and data customers. Headquartered in
Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon
Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more
information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and
request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of
Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia
Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.

###