[FoRK] Re: Re: hmmm... what about graphics?

Corinna schultz
Thu Oct 6 07:08:54 PDT 2005

"Andy Armstrong" <andy at hexten.net> wrote
> On 6 Oct 2005, at 13:27, Corinna wrote:
>> I probably need to specialize in *something*...
>
> I never have - kernel stuff one day, hardware another, database stuff  the
> next - and so on. Of course that might mean I'm not actually any  good at
> any of those things :)

One day I may decide that I have enough talent/energy/confidence to do it
all, but even though I find many things interesting, I would like to develop
expertise, which means concentrating on one particular thing. The problem is
deciding what to concentrate on...

>the choice was hardware or software and I greedily  chose both.

Ha, I decided early on that hardware was just *not my friend*.  Too
difficult to debug, too hard to make changes to, not as straightforward as
software :)

> So I'm self employed - I'm a generous boss and an undisciplined  employee
> all rolled in to one :)

That's another thing -- right now, at least, I'm pretty sure I don't want to
be self-employed. I'm happy for someone to point me in the direction of a
problem, and I don't want to worry about running a business (being a
part-time landlord is enough -- finding tenants, understanding the tax law,
worrying about being sued, keeping business accounts... ick.) However, maybe
one day when I actually have expertise at something... like those people who
write books about a technology (Ari Kaplan comes to mind -- anyone know him?
He was a Rudd.)

Maybe I'm just too young -- I still think life is something you plan for.
But maybe the truth is that life is what happens to you as you're trying to
figure out what to do... :)

-Corinna