[FoRK] Three most import attributes for a Bush appointment

Naren nsavara
Thu Oct 6 01:46:39 PDT 2005

/

/Naren Sxvxrx wrote:
/>but frankly... at 6'1" you'd be among the shorter or average height
/of the younger generation of Chinese...
/>since when I visited Shanghai this march/april; I saw that most of
/the 10-12 year olds are 5'8" or taller;
/>and amazingly many of the 15/16 year olds are 6'+ or even 6'1"+...
/
/I beg to disagree... oh, just go ahead... are you sure... yeah,
/shoot... hmm, alright then...
/
/I'm about average (vertically) at 1m79 - although actually that's
/above the averages listed here:
/
/    http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/h/hu/human_height.htm
/
/except for Germany, Holland and Sweden - who'da thunk it!  But in
/Beijing in July I was definitely
/taller than almost everybody, more so outside of Beijing, and with
/hiking boots on I was practically a giant!
/
/
You know, actually compared to a lot of people in the older/middle ages and
even in their mid/late 20s I was bit of a giant (at 1m83); infact I once
went to a sort of sale frequented by the more average people in a slightly
run down part of Shanghai and it was like everyone seemed atleast 6-8 inches
shorter than me.

but at the risk of sounding terribly shallow, many of the younger, better
off reasonably modern/fashionable english speaking chinese females (teens,
early 20s--- at McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Pizza hut, Starbucks,
some nightclubs) were 5ft6, 5ft7 or more and the proportion of similarly
tall people from that social group seemed much more than in Delhi... also,
in the area (Pudong) I stayed, I was waiting for someone opposite a primary
school and seeing many of the 10-12 year olds streaming out (both male and
females) I was amazed to see how tall they seemed to be and how heavy their
bones/wrists seemed even small kids... as compared to even my nephews/nieces
here at that age...

A lot of the 16/17 year olds seemed taller and much broader than me even...
ofcourse, this may be because that's been one of the more wealthy/better
developed areas with everyone having extremely good access to very good
nutrition----- but I have not seen anything like this extremely healthy/tall
younger generation (and taller/healthier seemingly irrespective of their
social background) compared to people even just a few years older--- in
India or even in neighbouring countries (and the differential between
rich/poor is pretty big in all these countries).

Hence my comment that if Adam went to one of the better developed coastal
cities in China... a lot of the younger generation would have a height to
rival his.... though ofcourse, my experience of China is limited to the
developed/HiTech part of Shanghai minus the usual tourist haunts and that
too mainly to people in localities I could walk around to near where I
stayed.

But yes, if it's China then this face of China too, you must'nt discount.

Naren Singh

ps: yup! making it as un-Googleable as possible!!!