[FoRK] [TNR] Chicken Little: We'll survive the bird flu

Justin Mason jm
Thu Oct 6 00:24:26 PDT 2005

Yeah, "debunking" the threat of H5N1 has become popular for some reason.
I'd suggest seeing what the *experts* think -- the qualified
epidemiologists, rather than some "science writer", and listening to them.

All in all the experts are saying: the danger is serious.

http://www.recombinomics.com/whats_new.html reveals a steady spread of
cases across Indonesia right now, and suggests that some of the timings
indicate that the virus may have developed the ability to spread (albeit
poorly) from human to human (phase 4 of the pandemic phases,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_flu#Pandemic_alert_period ).

Fatality rates in healthy adults have been between 30% and 70% of cases,
in reports I've read.

Sure, you can risk decimation.  Seems like a lousy bet to me, though.

(PS: have you checked with the local inhabitants of your mountain
hideaway? They might not be so welcoming of outsiders, once there's a
danger those outsiders might be bringing some microbial pals along ;)

- --j.