[FoRK] Should we add some ads to FoRK-archive? At 60K hits/day...

Strata R. Chalup strata
Wed Oct 5 18:00:06 PDT 2005

1) Toss up a special squid proxy in front of the site.  If the requestor matches
known AdWords spiders, do some quick inline edits of the pages, ranging from
stripping the hypermail/mhonarc-ness of them off to filling them full of
interesting keywords.

2) Actually.... did anybody else see the lead story Tuesday on the Murky News
about the kind of shaky loan products that have been helping to drive the
housing bubble, or at least build up a higher meniscial index for it?  Nice
glossary of loan types as a sidebar.   Today's story was a follow-up, which
mentioned that some scary percentage of 2005 Bay Area homebuyers used loan
products guaranteed to make them Do Da Funky Chicken if the bubble pops.

2a) On the other other hand, the way some of the loan products were explained, I
could actually see the sense of things like combining an interest-only with a
"liar's loan".  If you were so sure that the market was going to keep going up
that you could risk an Underwater Event that would make N'awlins look dry, it
would make sense to use something like that to snag title and let the
appreciation roll, then churn the property 6 months to a year later.  Takes risk
to make money.  I'm just too much of a wuss to try cashing in on this particular
wave.

3) oh, yah--- no aversion to text ads, whether inline in the archives or little
4-liners nibbed into the messages themselves (max 1 - 2 per message, thanks).
Bandwidth ain't free no more.

SRC