[FoRK] watching history

Stephen Williams sdw
Wed Oct 5 17:13:02 PDT 2005

I was with my niece and nephew at Air & Space on Sunday and saw the new
addition with a tarp over it. I thought in passing "that shape looks
familiar", then later realized what it was. Very cool.

In and on display fast. The other Smithsonians add things to their
collections all the time, but only put a little on display. AOL
BuddyList is in the permanent collection (there was a press release
years ago), but never displayed as far as I know. Nothing to write home
about, they have a bazillion items in the "research collection".

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/1998/04/06/daily3.html

> April 6, 1998
> AOL makes buddies with Smithsonian
>
> America On Line has entered the annals of history. The Smithsonian
> Institution is adding AOL's "Buddy List" live chat system to its
> permanent research collection on information technology innovation.

sdw