[FoRK] Re: hmmm... what about graphics?

Lucas Gonze lgonze
Wed Oct 5 15:04:19 PDT 2005

Corinna wrote:

>Yeah, another prof talked about video data mining -- that seemed interesting
>too :-)
>Things like calculating real-time speed of objects in a video, identifying
>various objects (like the number of cars that go into a parking garage),
>identifying when a scene changes (to automatically not record ads when
>you're taping something), ways of quantifying video for use in a database.

Yup.  It is intensely interesting and challenging work, worth a whole
career, and indeed *is* a whole career.

>guess the applications in security are really big right now...

If your sponsor can get past (or into) the crony network, yes.  I made a
living on image processing in a security context during the time the web
bubble was shot and the security bubble was booming.