[FoRK] Aversion to Microsoft

Jean Jordaan jean.jordaan
Wed Oct 5 14:04:55 PDT 2005

2005/10/1, Damien Morton <fork at bitfurnace.com>:
> The problem in unix is where do you start, to make such a mechanism
> pervasive. I mean, the requirements are different. You want to support
> every language you can, C, Perl, Python, etc etc. And for these
> languages, the lowest common demoninator is text.

All resources in Plan 9 look like file systems. That does not mean
that they are repositories for permanent files on disk, but that the
interface to them is file-oriented: finding files (resources) in a
hierarchical name tree, attaching to them by name, and accessing their
contents by read and write calls. There are dozens of file system
types in Plan 9, but only a few represent traditional files. At this
level of abstraction, files in Plan 9 are similar to objects, except
that files are already provided with naming, access, and protection
methods that must be created afresh for objects. Object-oriented
readers may approach the rest of this paper as a study in how to make
objects look like files.

from http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/names.html