[FoRK] Re: DBs and online forms

Naren nsavara
Wed Oct 5 11:46:45 PDT 2005

Hey... this is interesting... and it could perhaps be the start of a bigger, mass-market product...

look forward to everyone's comment on this... a serious post here from me...

"Corinna" <schultz at harlingen.isd.tenet.edu> wrote in message news:di0i81$v83$1 at sea.gmane.org...

> "Culture Lab" <info at pulpculture.org> wrote in message >
> > So, the next step is to see if anyone's created such an app, translating
> > either raw data right into a predefined form or created a database backend
> > to do live processing of the input
>
> I would agree with you that this kind of data application has a large
> potential market in all sorts of industries, but one problem we have is
> varying state laws. Because each state has its own version of Medicaid, our
> software really will only work in Texas, unless we do state-by-state
> customizing (which we do to some extent for Oklahoma and Florida)

I'd say you have the recipe for something that can be productised into a well-selling product (if not a best-selling product a few versions later)... and I say this in general coz all a best selling product entails is:--

(1) More than just "this kind of data application"; anyplace where you implement a project that leverages domain knowledge (like your company's application does);

(2) and anytime where you can have a company being "market driven"--- ie: driven by what the market/clients want---> like your company is, right now.

Provided you can sort of generalize it while keeping your company client driven....

If for example, you could separate the region/state-specific business-rules from the business logic--- maybe by having the rules implemented by perl/python/javascript/vbscript scripts that run using your application as the container; and then...
EITHER:
give either customers in general or premium customers who get special licenses the option of moving faster than you by customizing the rules to their own taste/needs
OR
divide your development into the core application team; and the client-specific implementation/customization team with the option of allowing marketting/sales partners to have their own implementation teams
----> then you (ie: your company) could really scale up and maybe have the next superhit product on your hands...

Just a opinion that's informed by experience...
What say others ?

What say Corrina ?

Wondering, Wondering...

Naren

ps: dont worry about the messiness... as long as things stay under the hood, know for sure that your messiness can never even think of beating either Adobe or Microsoft when it comes to messiness....