[FoRK] Ning, a social app construction set

Jim Whitehead ejw
Tue Oct 4 14:00:12 PDT 2005

http://www.ning.com/

It's like legos for social app builders. From the website, "Ning is a
free online service (or, as we like to call it, a Playground) for
building and using social applications.
Social apps are web applications that enable anyone to match,
transact, and communicate with other people."

Interesting, the business model appears to be the following: make it
easy for people to create social apps, provide free hosting, then get
revenue from ads, as well as from storage.

The main flaw, that I can see, is that any really successful business
using Ning might feel uncomfortable with Ning having so much control
over their fate. Still, it seems very attractive for performing rapid
prototyping and deployment of social apps.

- Jim