[FoRK] Technology/Innovation in AU

Mark Nottingham mnot
Tue Oct 4 13:06:19 PDT 2005

>> Im moving back to Australia in 2 weeks. Your'e all welcome to join
>> me.

I'd be interested in hearing of stories from those who have done this
(i.e., specifically, Australia). I hold AU residence, and one of the
things that's keeping me from moving back is the relative dearth of
work options for technical people who still want to actually think on
the job.

It seems to me that there are plenty of talented people in AU (that I
know personally or by reputation), but for whatever reason,
innovation doesn't really take hold; there aren't many big companies
that hire people for research / exploration (Telstra and CSIRO come
to mind), and getting a startup going is very difficult, due to a
lack of angel / seed funding.

Not that they don't know this; the subject has been explored to
death, as far as I can see (e.g., "Backing Australia's Ability").

There was a nice article about this in (I think) the Journal a few
years back, to the effect that Australia is doing so well because of
IT; not because it innovates, but because it *implements* so very
well, based on what others innovate.

P.S. There's a "Startup Funding Alternatives" panel by ANZA (sort of
an AU/US business association) in Palo Alto tomorrow night:
   http://www.anzatechnet.com/conference2005/reg_all/panel_reg1.jsp
I was thinking of checking it out; anybody have any experience with
this org?