[FoRK] 11 steps to democracy

J. Andrew Rogers andrew
Tue Oct 4 12:24:40 PDT 2005

On 10/4/05 12:00 PM, "mattj at newsblip.com" <mattj at newsblip.com> wrote:
> The President would have to respond to questions *and raspberries*.  Blair
> doesn't just get to blow hot air for five minutes, without interruption, never
> answering the question.  In other words, it's the complete opposite of a Bush
> "press conference".  Under this proposal Bush would face questions directly
> from *Democrats*, and if he evaded he would be booed.  If you haven't watched
> "Question Time" (on C-SPAN), you must.

I have seen this many times, and I do not see it as a useful procedure.
Entertaining? Absolutely.  But not particularly constructive considering the
obscene level of grandstanding and media whoring that goes on for its own
sake.

I understand what is being sought here, I just think that particular
mechanism is not the way to obtain it in practice, not without tightening up
the rules significantly.

J. Andrew Rogers