[FoRK] 11 steps to democracy

mattj at newsblip.com mattj
Tue Oct 4 12:00:10 PDT 2005

Quoting "J. Andrew Rogers" <andrew at ceruleansystems.com>:

>> 11. Adopt the Parliamentary Democracy practise of question time, in
>> which the President must publicly respond to questions from members of
>> congress.
>
> Pointless.  Most of the blowhards in Congress already grandstand with
> non-questions far too much as it is.  That should be discouraged, not
> encouraged.

The President would have to respond to questions *and raspberries*.  Blair
doesn't just get to blow hot air for five minutes, without interruption, never
answering the question.  In other words, it's the complete opposite of a Bush
"press conference".  Under this proposal Bush would face questions directly
from *Democrats*, and if he evaded he would be booed.  If you haven't watched
"Question Time" (on C-SPAN), you must.

This (#11) is the one suggestion I am in complete agreement with.

-Matt Jensen
http://mattjensen.com
Seattle