[FoRK] Hospitals and births (was Re: (no subject))

mattj at newsblip.com mattj
Tue Oct 4 09:58:27 PDT 2005

Quoting Corinna <schultz at harlingen.isd.tenet.edu>:

> Also, it depends on where you live. I wouldn't want to have a baby here in
> the Valley, period...

Word. Attitudes toward childbirth, midwifery, breastfeeding, etc. vary
*dramatically* across the U.S.

Here in Seattle, it's very progressive.  For example, we have the highest rate
in the country of moms who breastfeed when they leave the hospital. (I don't
know who collects these statistics nationally, but if you call a Seattle
hospital, they would tell you.)   Take tours while still pregnant; good
hospitals will tell you exactly what they'll be doing with you at each step.

(Side note: It's interesting that in the U.S., breastfeeding is generally done
by high-status mothers, and shunned by the poor; in Australia, it's the
opposite.  This difference led to studies that helped disprove the
breastfeeding-IQ connection; after the mother's education is accounted for,
there is no significant difference in IQ between breastfed and formula-fed
children. Breastfeeding has clear advantages in disease-prevention, etc.,
though.)

-Matt Jensen
http://mattjensen.com
Seattle