[FoRK] Re: (no subject)

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Tue Oct 4 06:53:45 PDT 2005

You can't be certain you won't have a complication, like breach
presentation, that a midwife can't handle.
Certainly traditional hospital birthing was wrongly prescriptive
(keeping the mother on her back, etc.), but 14 years ago even in Ohio
you could find a good "birthing center" hospital that could deal with
water birthing, etc.

Sure, a reasonably large amount of time things will come out all right,
but if it's even a few percent that require modern techniques, it's not
worth the risk to be stuck without them.  If you could find a midwife
facility right next to a good hospital, that might work, but you still
might have to be wheeled accross the street on a gurney while the baby
suffocates or has a low oxygen event.

I'd really be surprised if it were true that mortality and labor
problems (that couldn't be solved) were greater in a hospital.  Breach
births are fairly common and you can't always turn a baby at that
point.  A good OB will detect and turn the baby before labor, generally.

sdw