[FoRK] a wireless question

Eugen Leitl eugen
Tue Oct 4 05:44:34 PDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 09:31:57PM -0400, Damien Morton wrote:
> Im looking for a relatively inexpensive wireless product that allows me

Sounds like Linksys.

> to do the following:
>
> Hook up a high-gain gain antenna for long range connectivity, while
> simultaneously hooking up an omni antenna for local connectivity.

Still sounds like Linksys.

> Im thinking that the long-range and short-range subsystems should
> operate on different frequencies.

There's one Linksys WRT55AG which does 80211a/b/g.

http://www.google.com/search?q=WRT55AG&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

I'm not sure http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware
supports it fully.

Also:

http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12221&highlight=802+11a

October 4 2005 update -

Talisman V1.1 is currently undergoing testing. All major feature additions are in. The last couple minor features are being added today.

We are modifying the web site on the new "bigiron" dual-core/hw-RAID server with the initial packages for package management, the on-the-fly SSL cert generation script, and an updated authorization system.

Talisman/Micro is working well on a Belkin F5D-7230-4. We are not sure which models work as we are only testing on this specific version. The 2000yy and newer models should work fine, though we can only guarantee operation on this specific hardware. We are also testing Talisman/Micro on the WAP54G V2 series and will release with support for these models as well.

We have Talisman/Basic running on V1.0 G models but are still having issues with V1.1 models. We will likely release without V1.x G support initially but will focus on this for a V1.1.1 release. (Many thanks to HairyDairyMaid for his work on adding a serial console to these old units for testing!).

WRT V4/V5 G & V3 GS support was added some time ago and is well tested.

Left to do is Talisman/Basic testing on the Buffalotech models and a general systems test of the download/web server. Once everything is green-lighted we will "flip the switch" and move over to the new server with Talisman V1.1 and packages available for download.