[FoRK] Fucked by the French

Damien Morton fork
Mon Oct 3 15:33:21 PDT 2005

The flip side is that my sister, who lives in France, got a nasty virus
which needed a 1-year treatment on very expensive pharmaceuticals. The
treatment is so debilitating that many people cant make it through the
whole year, and there is a 6-month recovery period after coming off the
treatment.

I think the cost would have been $60K or somesuch, not to mention the
cost of being unable to work for 18 months or so. Had she been in the
U.S. she would have been uninsured, unemployed, and bankrupting herself
and her family.

Unless she was of retirement age, of course.