[FoRK] Open Link: Objects+piping (and better)+real loose coupling

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Mon Oct 3 13:52:30 PDT 2005

You can force a lot over the HTTP model, but if you look at the design
of BEEP (in the RFCs) you'll see quite a difference.

That's just some transport details however, the next level up is more
interesting.  SOAP et al is interesting, but unfortunately was jumped on
as RPC, especially half-duplex synchronous RPC with, initially, all
kinds of overhead per field rather than just exchanging an arbitrary XML
message (i.e. "document mode").  (The standard allows for async, but...)

Anyway, now I think we're talking about two things.  The one thread is
about lightweight scripting / linking a la Unix shell pipelining.  The
appropriate protocols and practices for the web are related, but still
could be different.

In any case, with your FoRK reference, one of the early invitation
triggers was presence/instant messaging which is definitely not a model
that's efficient over HTTP.  Presence/IM is all about message routing,
asynchronous pipelined messages, publish/subscribe, etc.  Sure, many are
deep into HTTP also, but HTTP was and is flawed as a general purpose
model.  It has evolved toward that direction, but there is a gap.

sdw