[FoRK] Open Link: Objects+piping (and better)+real loose coupling

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn
Mon Oct 3 06:05:44 PDT 2005

On Oct 3, 2005, at 1:06 AM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

>  I'm working on is more like lazy DOM traversal where you read in
> chunks of memory, traverse, read, and modify as needed, then write
> the chunks out.  In other words, I posit that there can exist an
> architecturally neutral format that can be randomly accessed and
> directly modified with at least the semantics of XML that is more
> efficient most of the time than current practice.

Makes sense... just please don't call it *XML, except when it's in a
text form. Is the tree in your stuff strongly typed? By that I mean I
hope you don't have to constantly go back and forth between text and
objects.

FWIW. I once wrote an extension (single method extension to Document
and Node) that allowed random access to elements in a DOM tree.
Essentially all you need is a method to fetch a node, and a method to
give you a unique id for a node. That, by itself, buys you a lot. I
wrote an in-memory and an on-disk implementation, the latter allowing
documents of any size to be used. These kinds of things are easy
enough to do, but I think it takes people a bit of time to realise
there's a better way of doing things.