[FoRK] Who invented the "most popular items" with different type sizes?

Gordon Mohr gojomofork at xavvy.com
Wed May 11 09:52:01 PDT 2005

Ken Meltsner wrote:
> I'm starting to see the same trick everywhere: a block of links (text) in a
> variety of sizes, with size corresponding to relative popularity. It's used
> at 43folders.com <http://43folders.com>, for example.
>
> Who came up with this method of showing ranked, popular items first? Is
> there a canonical name for it?

I've seen it described as a "heatmap" [1], though that term seems more strongly
associated with using the color dimension on a 2D image (as with eye tracking
studies [2]), than with using the font-size dimension on a text list.

Unsure who used it in the web/text/tag context first.

- Gordon

[1] http://www.engadgeted.net/archives/2005/02/10/wordpress-heat-map-plugin/
[2] http://blog.eyetools.net/