[FoRK] Brava New Papa

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 19 16:05:25 PDT 2005

I'm a bit puzzled by the non-Catholic criticisms over
the choice of Ratzinger. Exactly how should someone
who isn't Catholic view its selection of a Pope? My
own view is that I already knew the most important
thing: he would be Catholic. And not just an average
Catholic, but a doctrinaire Catholic who opposes
birth control, premarital sex, divorce, and anything
that smacks of secularism. Just as the next Klugle of
the KKK will be a dyed-in-the-wool racist, and the
next head of Focus on the Family will be a fanatic
member of the religious reich.

So we get a Catholic who maybe is a shade more
conservative than some of the other choices. Is
that bad? It might be the final straw that causes
liberal Catholics across the US to leave the Church.
In another half-century, the Church might become
a conservative sect with little influence in Europe
or the US. Good.