[FoRK] Virtual Private Servers

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Dec 21 20:04:47 PST 2004

I've been running UML (User Mode Linux) based servers for a while in
production.  One big don't: don't use COW (copy on write) partitions on
oversubscribed real space and then run that partition out of space with
live virtual machines and mounts.  ReiserFS is surprisingly resilient,
but it still can be a mess.  There are some hosting companies out there
for UML virtualization.

Xen is starting to look interesting.
I've run VMWare servers for years, but I'm more excited by the native
virtualization.

Qemu is amazing for doing VMWare-like things like running WinXP under
Linux, but at 25% of hardware it isn't for servers normally.

I am interested in playing with the new Solaris 10 boxing virtualization.

*BSD has some kind of super chroot that is close to virtualization,
which is what chroot should have become long ago, but I haven't been
interested in it.

sdw

swilliams at hpti.com http://www.hpti.com  Per: sdw at lig.net http://sdw.st