[FoRK] McDonald's in Japan

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Nov 19 07:51:37 PST 2004

As the statisticians say: "In the long run, we're all dead."

It could be that Japanese that move here suddenly stop being as active
by walking less, driving more, etc.
Or it could be physical adaptation to diet.  Many things in your body
have a wide range of possible operating efficiencies based on normal
ranges, flow, etc.  This includes sweat glands, capillaries in various
areas, arterial wall muscle, kidney function, etc.

I was an extremely competitive distance runner in high school when I
weighed 135lbs, had zero body fat, and ran 3000 miles per year.  One
day, I noticed that I lost 8 pounds through sweating in one long run at
100 degrees in 95% humidity in 45-60 minutes.  I looked it up in an
encyclopedia: I exceeded the recorded maximum sweat rate by a
significant amount.  That's the key part of being a 'heat trained' runner.

Why I didn't invent Camelbak back then, I'll never know.  It seems so
obvious now.

sdw